Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Odds And Ends Cuz I Have No Time For Much Else This Morning

First, the Daily Record reports today of a new bar called Gas Knob Pub opening where the Amsterdam Sky Cafe used to be (across from the baseball field and next to the arena). Very exciting stuff, set to open in May. Brought to you by the makers of The Fly's Tie.

Second, I caught the new R.E.M. song this morning on Sirius. The song is called Man-Sized Wreath and is off the new CD Accelerate. I read a few reviews of the CD, all of which were positive. I was impressed with Man-Sized Wreath as it captured some of the rock popiness of Green and Monster while reviving the dry monotone of Murmur and Reckoning. After passing on R.E.M.'s last three or so endeavors, I think I'll give them another shot.

Third, and speaking of other new CDs, The Raconteurs have followed up what I consider to be one of the best albums of this millenium (second only to the Throwing Muses' 2003, self-titled "reunion" CD) with their sophmore release, Consolers of the Lonely. I grabbed the CD from iTunes over the weekend but haven't yet had the opportunity to suck up the whole thing. Unfortunately, what has caught my attention has left me a bit disappointed. The songs seemed pushed, pretentious, over-produced and completely void of the brilliant and raw silliness of Broken Boy Soldier. I must emphasize the caveat, though, that I haven't yet given the songs a true listening. All former opinions could change over time. It's just that my first impressions were sour.

Oh, finally, I hear the Breeders have a new one coming out April 8 called Mountain Battles. I know nothing about it as I was leaving it to my wife, a bigger Breeders fan than me, to do the honors.

1 comment:

jj said...

Can't wait to see the Breeders at Coachella. There is a really decent lineup this year. Check it out.

http://coachella.com

John Jones