Monday, April 21, 2008

A Springfield PSA And Other Local FYIs And Tidbits

VICIOUS DOG ATTACK IN SPRINGFIELD

An informed and concerned neighbor approaced me this morning as I was leaving my house with my daughter to inform me that a pit bull attacked a priest yesterday on the corner of 9th and Laura, right at the Episcopal Church (a short block from my home). Apparently the man was turning around the corner when the dog lunged and grabbed onto his throat. No word on the condition of the man and I couldn't find anything about the attack in the local news.

I know I've been pinned a few times by a pack of dogs, and once my kids and wife were trapped in the car until I was able to move these animals along. In all honesty, I was pretty scared crapless by these encounters.

So, while stray dogs in Springfield are as ubiquitous as the beer bottles in the vacant lot next to my house, this post is in part an alert to be on the watch for what was described as a dark, spotted pit bull (yes, it got away). I have a message out to someone at SACARC to follow up on this and to find out the best course of action one should take to report wayward and potentially violent dogs (i.e., the city, 911, SACARC, etc. ). Honestly, I've never asked before, and I always thought I'd feel pretty silly reporting wild dogs to the city when my cynicism tells me it would all be for naught.

HARDEN RELEASES CLIENT LIST/HARMS FILES MOTION FOR JOINDER AND MOTION TO TRANSFER IN BROWN LITIGATION

You can find all you need to know on this at JaxOutLoud, including a link to the actual list of Harden's clients and Harms' motions filed in response to Brown's attempt to open up the Group 2 At-Large race to additional candidates. As usual, the buzz is brewing at JOL over these developments.

ACCORDING TO MY DAUGHTER, EARTH DAY AT THE LANDING WAS QUITE THE SUCCESS

Okay, sure, she had a blast running around the fountain getting her dress and Vans soaked, but she was a bit bummed that she didn't get to see the Berenstein Bears. However, she did get to touch a snake, paint a rock, draw pictures on a paper bag and learn a bit more about environmental causes, unitarian beliefs and civil liberties.

All in all, from my passive viewer perspective, the event was a success. From all accounts, it was well attended and 1460 wins the award for getting the most people to unwittingly promote its existence by randomly handing out the round blue stickers for all to paste on their bodies. While I'm not a fan of down your throat talk radio, even of the progressive kind, I slapped the sticker onto the stroller nonetheless.

The only frustration over the event was the hourglass set up where all the booths were squeezed into the east side enterance, making it a bit difficult to adequately check out all the participants.

NO SERVICE

Art Shad still has not been served with the civil complaint. I really need to look into this. Seriously, this guy cannot be that difficult to find.

SHANTYTOWN TRIVIA

We could always use one more consistent team. Tuesday nights at 8:00 p.m. There's a $20.00 bar tab to the victors each week.

No comments: