Thursday, February 14, 2008

Great Space, Bad Blood, 9th and Main Falters Again

I've received an open letter being circulated via email by the folks at Boomtown detailing the disaster that was their short-lived life at 9th and Main and their experience with Craig Van Horn.

As much as I would like to re-publish the letter here, as an attorney, I don't want to get too involved beyond summarizing the scenario. I will, however, offer a bit of the letter just to give you an idea what went down. Note that the bar side, The Rusted Hinge, remains open and fully functional. In fact, I was just there last night and had not a single clue that the Boomtown mess had gone down. Also, the letter indicates that Boomtown is still on track to open between 7th and 8th Street in seven or so weeks.

So, Boomtown is closed at 9th and Main. Lititgation, both criminal and civil, has been filed against Van Horn. Accusations abound, etc. Use your imagination, especially if you know even the slightest history of that amazing location with about the best nightlife potential in Springfield (The Pearl is in its own category).


Craig (Van Horn), suddenly acting on the premise that Boomtown never really opened at 9th and Main, and that I was actually just a 'chef' hired by 9th and Main, declared that he didnt even have to observe the lightning fast process of a month to month lease---you know....15 day notice and then its over.This is of course, patently absurd. As evidenced by the fact that we completely redid the entire space and the space was filled with Boomtown's dining accoutrements. Anyways on monday, without our supervision or permission he seized Boomtown's property, including our art, electronics equipment and computers---not to mention a lock box with almost a thousand dollars cash.

Living just steps away from 9th and Main, I'm continuously saddened to see this place sputter, cough, choke, die, only to be re-born as something else and then . . . repeat steps one through four (sputter, cough, choke, die).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened? What is Boomtown? You will have to dish dirt to me when I come to Jax, perhaps in March.

Anonymous said...

From what I have heard, its not nearly as dramatic as Dare is making it seem. He didnt seem to have the ability to work and play well with others, and managment asked him to go.

I also have heard he has been asked to come get his stuff, but has refused.

The General Manager, who started before Dare told me that the night life side has been 100% unaffected, and will only continue to get better. The main downside is, there will be a new menu, which does effect peoples perception of consistency. That said, I stopped in last night and got Fish and Chips for the kids, and Parm. Alfredo for the spouse and I, and it was awesome.

Dont give up on 9th and Main just yet.

J. Thornton Roess said...

I realized that, as neutral as I tried to sound, as much as I was really just trying to make an announcement, it may have come off rushed and one sided.
The food is continuing and another friend had the fish and chips and said it was delic.
Yeah, Dare has drama issues from what I hear. But the point is that somehow that place has got to figure itself out. I stopped going there because I never knew what I was going to get. So we all need to cross fingers on 9th and Main. I'm not giving up on it nor should anyone else. It's all just so frustrating.

Anonymous said...

As a Springfielder I agree. 9th and Main has so much potential. It would be great for the community for it to succeed.

For this reason, I personally plan on looking past the Dare drama, and still going to see the shows, and eating the food so long as the shows are good, and the food is tasty.

BTW, I just found your blog the other day thanks to The Urban Core. Nice work. I have added you to my daily reading list along with TUC, MetroJacksonville and UrbanJacksonville.

Anonymous said...

I worked at Boomtown and Steven didnt tell half of the 'drama'.

Craig Van Horn is a ripoff artist who has screwed over lots of people.

The 'general manager' is an asshole with problems and caused about 15 people to quit their jobs within the first 3 weeks of working there.

He fired several of the bartenders after getting arrested because they told Craig that they disnt respect him anymore and that he had drug problems.

Steven is a great boss, and he made a great business. He has everywhere hes gone.

This is about greed and stupidity on Craig's part. It doesnt get anymore dramatic that what they did to Boomtown, and you know what? I don't think Steven is going to let them get away with it.

J. Thornton Roess said...

I want there to be continued commentary on this subject and will welcome guest posting. I think the issue of the 9th and Main space is important not just to Springfielders and Urban Corers, but to Jacksonville as a whole. If Craig is the problem, then what can be done. It seems the issue is moot with Dare as he's already out and moving down the street. But 9th and Main can't keep going through these business fiascos.
So, seriously, let's figure this one out.
I'll be setting up an email account for this blog soon for anyone interested in direct, yet correspondence.

Anonymous said...

Steely Craig isn't smart enough to outfox Mr. Griffin.
Mr. Griffin is going to push a little too hard one day. He is wild baby - wild! Craig is just absent from reality. They are made for each other. They should meet in their imaginations and work this all out.

When Craig (or the courts, hahaha) expose the truth Craig won't look any smarter but Griffin will make us feel sorry for the worse landlord in the neighborhood. And so 9th and main will continue to be doomed. Yawn.

He is great bossy and good businesser! Please. Encourage any landlord, any past business partner, any vendor, any lender, and any of his name dropped celebrity friends to come back him up with their name. Otherwise this is all stories. If you've lived here for any amount of time you have heard them all. Yawn.