Saturday, February 2, 2008

Laziness and Insensitivity at the Y


I think the sign says it all. Kid Zone Parking Only. That pretty much is clear. If you're not leaving your child at the Kid Zone while you work out, then these parking spaces ARE NOT FOR YOU! Yet, each time I go, I see a number of lazy, insensitive people parking there.

Now, let me get this straight. You're going to the gym, in this case it's the Riverside YMCA. You're going to get fit, to exercise, to tax your muscles and heart. Yet you're so lazy that you have to park as close to the front door as possible. Why not park in the handicap spot while you're at it. It's even closer.

I've caught a judge parking there in his whale of an SUV, clearly caring less about the environment than he does children. When I confronted him, he acted like I was being rude. So rude, in fact, that he had to rely on mild expletives to make his point. I had to remind him that not only is he a jerk for parking in the Kid Zone, but an even bigger jerk for swearing in front of my daughter.

Not two minutes after this confrontation, I saw another guy park in a clearly marked Kid Zone spot. When I confronted him, he hurredly said that he's a Y instructor and is late for a class. Great. Some kind of example.
Finally, and worn out for the morning, I saw another woman, a local attorney no less, park her brand new Audi A6 in a, you guessed, Kid Zone spot. She had the look of couldn't be bothered. Much like the same look I've seen her wear during a deposition. The sickening arrogance.

So this post is for all you lazy, insensitive idiots out there who put your own special needs in front of the safety of parents and the children they are taking to the Kid Zone. I'll be bringing my camera to the gym every time now and snap a photo, hopefully with you in it, to post here if I see you parking where YOU CLEARLY SHOULD NOT BE PARKING.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Unbelievable. Good for you for saying something to the judge. What an a-hole. Did you say anything to the manager inside?

J. Thornton Roess said...

Have you ever tried to stop your toilet from overlflowing by using your hands to keep the water back? Yeah, it's like that.

Robin said...

Go you! We need more yous.