Thursday, February 21, 2008

A News Cycle To Trump All News Cycles, So I’ll Just Peddle Smut

How can I compete with the McCain scandal that “broke” yesterday in the New York Times? I can’t. Even the Huffington Post is going crazy about it. Or what about the surreal notion that we actually shot down a satellite from a boat in the Pacific? Who said that there wasn’t a single Bush Agency that could do anything right? Oh, right. That would be everybody. And don’t even get me started on the lunar eclipse. That was pretty amazing. I think Hillary and Obama are competing for credit with Obama polling higher on the “Which candidate is better able to inspire and control an astronomical phenomenon?” question.

So, I awoke this morning thinking it best just to take the day off and bask in the ray of positivism that is our government, our solar system, our media. But then I got bored and thought I should follow up and provide updates on some earlier post topics.

One “story” I’ve been curious about is how Labradorphobic Art Shad is faring after assaulting attorney Tim Kelly several weeks ago. I had heard that civil and criminal cases were being pursued and so I hit the COJ website to see what I could find. So far, nothing on the assault charge or anything else related to the punching incident. But, interestingly, I did see where Art “leadfoot” Shad got (yet another) speeding ticket on January 15, 2008. Okay, I know mentioning this really looks like I’m being petty. But not when you take a look at what else popped up under the name Arthur Henderson Shad (Yes, I know, this was all covered last year at MetJax/JaxOutLoud). There were 13 hits for offenses mostly involving speeding and other traffic violations. Oh how our city councilmen inspire me. Anyway, nothing yet on the assault. I’ll keep checking back and maybe give a call to some criminal attorney friends to see what I can find out.

My other favorite topic is the Fourth Circuit judicial races. There’s not much new to report other than the Jeff Morrow campaign reception being held tonight at the River City Brewing Company starting at 5:30.

Jeff has a pretty impressive and varied list of supporters, ranging from Preston Haskell to Cindy Jennings. The lawyers on the list specialize in practices ranging from construction to corporate to criminal to civil to family law. Not bad. I’ve just checked the Supervisor of Elections website and confirmed that Morrow is still unopposed in Group 19. No word on his war chest yet as he only just filed to run one month ago.

I’ll reserve commentary on my pet peeve of raising money to keep others out of a race until I know more. But right now, Morrow's event is being labeled as a “reception” and not a fundraiser. In fact, there is nothing on the invite about money or fundraising.

Jim Daniel’s invite (for an event occurring next week at the FOP), however, states at the bottom that “The purchase of a ticket or a contribution to the fundraiser is a contribution to the Jim Daniel campaign for 4th Judicial Circuit Court Judge.” Remember, Jim too is running unopposed. See an earlier post for my gripe about him raising money when he doesn’t even have any competition.

So that’s all the news that’s not that’s fit to print.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Solo Practitioner Gerald Wilkerson is also running against Soud.

J. Thornton Roess said...

The February 15 post re the judicial races states that Soud's competition is Hulsey and Wilkerson.