Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Campaign by Stratagem, A New Chapter In The Art Of War

My only real commentary on last night’s results is that Hillary and Barack need to stop beating up on each other now that the GOP has narrowed the candidate field to one.

Seriously. These two have been campaigning against one another for over a year now. What else can be said? What other new mud is there? And why, now that the dollars war is going to really heat up between the two, would they want to give the GOP a pass on having to vigorously campaign and spend money. The GOP is salivating over last night’s results because they’re going to save a fortune watching Clinton and Obama duke it out. This is exactly what Rush was begging for on Laura Ingraham's show a few nights ago (no, I did not watch it, but read the highlights the next day).

The Democrats cannot let this happen.

Barack and Hillary do not need to campaign on the “I’m better than my opponent” platform anymore. We all have a pretty good grasp by now of their differences. They both have a clear target and the test now is to see how they each match up against McBush and the GOP.

I want to know how Barack or Hillary plans on dismantling eight years of failed domestic and foreign policies. I want to see some tough talk on how this country cannot survive another four years of Republican rule. I do not want to hear any more accusations about plagiarized speeches. I don’t want to hear Matt Drudge saying that Hillary’s camp gave him some photos of Barack in Somali attire. I don’t want fake tears or messianic pronouncements. I don't want to see barbs exchanged via Saturday Night Live. It’s time for these childish antics to stop.

This is a once in a lifetime chance for Hillary and Barack and a real opportunity for the Democratic Party to unite and drain what's left of McCain's bank account by going Sun Tzu on him, two against one. The two can use their combined $38 billion war chest on ad campaigns, not to promote their own individual merits, but to educate the country on the dangers of another GOP administration. To do otherwise, to continue beating each other up instead, is going to see that $43 billion (yes, they were able to raise another $5 billion in just one sentence) being wasted on negative infighting ads such that, come August 29, 2008, right after the Democratic convention, there will be nothing left but a broke, scarred, dismembered, emaciated and eviscerated candidate who won’t stand a chance of making it into the White House.

5 comments:

Jimmy Midyette said...

I agree with you in principle. However, I think the word you're looking for there is "million" with an m. :)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it any better. So much is at stake. This country can't survive another four years of tax breaks for Wall Street, a billion dollars a day in Iraq, the defense spending that outpaces all other countries combined, an education system that is a joke, a serious health care availability crisis, a staggering national debt...I could go on and on. The Republicans are purposefully bankrupting this nation. If the Democrats are the real patriots, as I would contend, for the good of the country, they must stop this infighting.

J. Thornton Roess said...

No, no, I meant billion, in hyperbolic, sarcastic fashion, to make a point at my disgust for campaign fundraising and spending in the modern era. I think each candidate should be given a visa card with $100,000.00 and let them duke it out grass roots, old school.

J. Thornton Roess said...

No, no, I meant billion, in hyperbolic, sarcastic fashion, to make a point at my disgust for campaign fundraising and spending in the modern era. I think each candidate should be given a visa card with $100,000.00 and let them duke it out grass roots, old school.

Jimmy Midyette said...

Oh, my bad then.

Since this horrible Democracy is so messy for the candidates will you join with me today in calling for Mr. Obama to concede to Mrs. Clinton so that we can unite behind a winning candidate for November? ;)