Saturday, March 22, 2008

This Is A Poll Of Sorts -- Minus The Margin Of Error -- To Help Settle A Bet Between Friends

How many people think that Hillary will, in the coming weeks, make a challenge to Obama to share in the expense of holding a do over election in Florida and Michigan? (Hmmm. Not me.)

Conversely, how many people think that it’s time to get on with the rest of the primary season and accept the fact that there will be no Democratic delegates from the latter two states sitting in Denver come late August waiting to cast their respective delegate vote? (Me -- that’s one vote.)

And let’s take it one more further. Is there anyone out there who thinks a Hillary primary victory based upon super delegates voting against Obama will be construed in any way as a racist affront to Obama‘s candidacy? (I think it’s time for the race issue to be buried. If the super delegates go for Hillary, it’s going to be because, in the end, they believe she’s the candidate who can beat McCain, not because they couldn‘t stomach a man of color leading the Democratic pack to the White House. So that’s a no vote on this one from me.)

Hell, let’s do one more.

What Democrat out there would rather vote for McCain than Obama, regardless of all the theories of why or how he became the candidate over Hillary? (Unfortunately, I have one friend who said she would do exactly that. I think my answer to that one is obvious.)

Okay, I can’t resist. Just one more. Really.

Who thinks that Obama’s affiliation with Rev. Jeremiah Wright will still be in the news two weeks from now? (I think American’s attention span can barely last through breakfast, let alone a day, or a week, or two. So, the Wright thing, whatever that thing really is, will go away as fast as the recent disclosure of McCain’s fidelity problems.)

I ask these questions after having had a long debate/conversation with a good friend, and Hillary supporter, who is pissed to holy high hell at Dean and the DNC for negating his primary vote.

This friend is convinced that Hillary will not sit idly by while her meaningless Florida and Michigan “victories” count for naught. This friend is also convinced that Wright’s words will be Obama’s undoing. (My reminding him of the media’s ambivalence towards, and America’s ignorance of, McCain’s French kiss embrace of John Hagee, hate monger extraordinaire, had no effect.)

Despite my Obama support, I could not embrace nary a one of my friend’s positions.

I don’t think Hillary will cough up a cent for any do over. I’m not even sure if election laws allow her to use campaign money in such a fashion (does anyone out there know the answer to this?).

But my friend is convinced that a Hillary challenge to Obama to cough up dough to flip the bill for a do over is coming and that Obama will agree to split the cost for fear of losing face and looking weak in the eyes of Democrats.

While I’m sure no challenge is coming, I told my friend that the better scenario would be for Hillary to pony up the money for the whole re-voting affair, in both Florida and Michigan, as a giant screw you to Obama. Meaning, she can cut off all debate on the matter (although I thought all debate was all but cut off already), and come riding up on her silver pony, feeling the pain of all the “disenfranchised” voters, and save the day by making the ultimate sacrifice (i.e., forking over $18 million that she can hardly spare) and give the voters back their voice.

I’ve said before that the Democratic leaders screwed this one up royally. But it’s time for the Hillary camp, including her voters, to move on. I know this is starting to sound like a broken record, but this fight over Florida and Michigan delegates cannot be the focus. We’re losing too much time, too much ground, and too much money to dwell on this any longer. We have a target in McCain to direct all of our energy against. He’s out there not spending a dime while the Hillary and Obama camps spend a fortune bickering against each other over things that have nothing to do with the qualifications necessary to become the President of the United States.

1 comment:

The Urban Core said...

She can't win!